I’ve been down in Palm Springs for work the past couple of days and something about being in the desert makes me want southwestern food. One of my favorite dishes is tortilla soup, I love all of the veggies and spices packed into a soup.
My mom and I recently tried this recipe which comes from Miraval, a destination retreat and spa in Arizona. Although I’ve never been, I’ve always wanted to to go (they have wonderful classes/activities/spa treatments). A friend who recently went for a weekend came back raving about the food and passed along this recipe for us to try.
I love this recipe since it is so easy and healthy (only 130 calories per serving), but is still spicy and filling. I hate when low fat soups lack flavor and are mainly broth in the effort to save a few calories, not to worry this one doesn’t do either. And my favorite part of the soup… the tortilla strips!
Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
Makes 2 1/2 quarts (10 servings)
- 1/8 teaspoon canola oil spray
- 1 poblano chili, roasted and diced
- 1 red pepper, roasted and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 quarts chicken stock (we used homemade)
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 cups chicken breast, grilled and julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon avocado, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon brown rice, cooked
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of baked tortilla strips per bowl (directions below)
- Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Lightly spray pot with canola oil.
- Add the poblano chile, vegetables, garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika, chile powder, thyme, and cayenne. Saute while stirring to soften the onions, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomato, and julienned chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garnish and serve.
- Slice 3 corn tortillas into thin strips using a knife.
- On a baking sheet covered in a paper towel, lay tortilla strips across and spray or lightly brush them with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until crisp, but not burnt. Remove from oven.
Recipe adapted from Miraval