Q and I are loving our Friday night homemade pizza dates. It’s something we look forward to all week and we’ve mastered our technique (I make the dough 3 hours before, we pre-heat our baking sheet with our oven and the ideal cook time is 25 minutes).
Q is a meat guy (I know I keep saying it, but the guy just loves meat) and so this week we mastered a meaty pizza for him. Not only did I let him throw pepperoni (well it was turkey pepperoni) on our pizza, but Italian sausage as well! And you know what? It was delicious.
Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza
Makes 1 Pizza
- 1-2 Italian sausage links (depends how meaty you want it), sliced into pieces with the casing on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ball of pizza dough (our favorite)
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 12-15 pieces of pepperoni
- Few leaves of basil, thinly chopped
- Extra parmesan for topping
- Red pepper flakes for topping
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Preheat the baking sheet for 10 minutes, or until ready to bake pizza.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat. Once hot, add sausage pieces and cook until cooked through and browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Spread 1 tablespoon olive oil on top of heated baking sheet so dough doesn’t stick to it and to create a crispy crust.
- Working with the dough ball, dust dough generously with flour and place on a floured work space. Gently shape dough into a 10” – 12” oval or until it fits well in the baking sheet.
- Place dough on pre-heated and oiled baking sheet and spread marinara across. Next layer mozzarella and half of the Parmesan. Using a spoon, scoop ricotta on top. Add sausage pieces and pepperoni and season with salt and pepper. Top with the rest of the Parmesan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bottom of crust is crisp and top is blistered. Transfer to a work surface to slice and top with sliced basil. Serve with additional Parmesan and red pepper flakes.