My love of J. Crew has recently hit a whole new level. I am forever on the lookout for a great black pant and these bad boys hit the mark in every way. I love the length (ankle), the material (crepe), and the fit (slim). PS they are crazy comfortable! Oh and J. Crew is currently 25% off with code SHOPNOW. What’s not to love? (and yes I know the pants in these photos are navy, but wanted you to see the fit!)
PS gotta love the one shoe look
Hi friends! Another week has gone by and I finally had a minute to sit and write. This past weekend Q came in to visit me (and most importantly Carl) in LA. We had such a great time with friends and family. And Carl was so happy to be reunited with his dad!
On Monday, I flew to the beautiful NYC for work and that’s where I am now. I have a love/hate relationship with the city. I love the food and shopping, haaaate the traffic.
(Oh hi “very LA” travel outfit. J. Crew top and boyfriend jeans)
(I even brought my very white Birkenstocks with me)
(JS pumps all the time. My go-to NY shoe (when I’m not in my Birks of course). )
More to come later this week/weekend. Thanks for sticking with me during this crazy week!
In my attempt to be a very Southern woman, I decided to make some kick-ass cornbread for Q and myself the other week. Yes it was the middle of summer and I made cornbread and chili, but so what? I LOVE the ease of making cornbread- no big kitchen tools needed, simple ingredients, and a quick took time. The only ingredient you may not have on hand is buttermilk, but there are some easy fixes if you don’t. This cornbread is extra special because of the topping: honey butter and scallions (also super easy to put together). I made this whole recipe, we had about 1/4 of it for dinner and I froze the rest for the fall (or when I’m gone and Q needs some food!). Enjoy!
Skillet Cornbread with Honey Butter & Scallions
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk egg, buttermilk, and 4 tbsp melted butter in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
4. Heat a 10″ cast-iron skillet on high heat with 1 tbsp melted butter. Pour batter into pan. Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25–30 minutes.
5. Just before the cornbread is done baking, make the topping: Combine honey and 1 tbsp melted butter. (If the honey is too thick, microwave it for 10 seconds to loosen it up.)
6. Remove cornbread from the oven and immediately brush on topping, then sprinkle with scallions. Serve warm.
Hi friends! This weekend I took a super quick trip to Hawaii to visit my grandma. Tough life, I know right? It was SO hot and humid and my mom and I sweated our way through the weekend. I loved being able to spend a few precious days with my family, heat and all.
(Top is Lilly Pulitzer and glasses are Kate Spade)
Over the weekend, I found the most magnificent hydrangeas that I’ve ever seen at the local Whole Foods.
We also found a great local breakfast spot called The Nook. The chef mixes traditional Japanese with all American favorites (think pancakes with fresh mango and pineapple or Jidori chicken and waffles). So good.
I met the cutest 16 week old Frenchie named Biscuit. That one ear up, one ear down thing just kills me!
And of course, I did a little shopping with my aunt. I’m conflicted on this neon J. Crew blazer. Part of me loves it and part of my is scared of it (does that make sense?). I did grab the striped tee, which is super cozy and not too pricey.
And I really wanted this clutch, but held back in hopes it goes on sale at some point…
Back to the real world today Recipe coming on Wednesday!