Mexican Quinoa Bowls with Roasted Tomatoes
For Roasted Tomatoes
- 5 small to medium-sized tomatoes (small cherry tomatoes would work well too)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or enough to just coat tomatoes)
- Pinch each of salt and fresh ground pepper
For Quinoa Bowl:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Spoonful of salsa
- Pinch each of salt and freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce (optional)
For Roasted Tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with baking spray or olive oil.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and line along baking sheet. Using your fingertips, use olive oil to cover each slice of tomato lightly (don’t over do it). Sprinkle salt and pepper across the tomatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until tomatoes are tender-crisp and edges are slightly brown. Remove from oven and baking sheet and set aside.
For Quinoa Bowls:
- Clean your quinoa using a fine strainer by pouring the quinoa into the strainer and running water over the it until the water comes out clear.
- Pour the cleaned quinoa into a rice cooker and add enough water as if you were cooking rice on the “mixed” setting (So for 1 cup quinoa I added water for 1 cup mixed rice in the cooker). Turn the cooker on and let sit.
- Once the quinoa is done cooking, about 45 minutes, add black beans directly into the rice maker and squeeze lime over the top of both. Close lid for 5 minutes. This will heat up the beans and let the lime juice settle.
- Scoop one cup of quinoa/black bean mixture onto each plate. Top the quinoa with roasted tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and salsa. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each and serve. Add hot sauce if you wish!