Q and I are all about using what is in our fridge to make dinner. We always assess what we have and make a game plan. Occasionally that means running to the store to grab some additional veggies or ingredients, but normally we are able to be pretty creative with what’s on hand. Not only is this great financially, but also it tests our creativity.
This dish came about after we had attended a big fourth of July party. We had made a huge batch of pasta for a pasta salad we were bringing and we ended up only using half of it for the dish. Since we had a good amount of it left, I thought we should use it for dinner. Q, my protein loving fiancee, wanted to add chicken which we cubed and seasoned with some Italian-inspired herbs. We decided to add some spinach, sundried tomatoes and marinara and this dish was made.
This is a hearty, delicious and SUPER easy weeknight dinner. The use of Italian seasoning and sundried tomatoes gave the dish great flavor and the chicken made it filling. Yum!
Easy Whole Wheat Chicken Marinara Pasta
What We Used:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or enough to coat the pan)
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts, cubed
- Few pinches of Italian seasoning (think pizza seasoning, dried parsley, dried basil, dried oregano)
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 pound cooked whole wheat pasta
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2/3 cup marinara sauce (or to your liking)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How We Did It:
- Place a medium saute pan on medium heat. Add olive oil.
- While pan is heating, season your chicken breasts with a few pinches of Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until chicken is cooked through and springy to the touch. Lower heat to low. Add in sundried tomatoes and pasta. Cook for 1 minute. Add in spinach and cook until it begins to wilt (about 1 minute). Add in marinara sauce. Make sure the pasta and chicken are evenly coated with sauce. Remove from heat and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.