I love a good bowl of chili. I don’t love that it normally takes all day for it to cook. Q and I came across this recipe for a great weeknight turkey and black bean chili and decided to give it a try. Not only was it delicious and filled with flavor, but it only took 30 minutes to make! It also made enough for us both to take it for lunch for 2 days. We served it over white rice, with some cheese on top and a piece of Beer Bread on the side. Perfection.
PS: Don’t be scared of adding the cocoa and chocolate into the mix! Its rich, brown color and roasted flavor add a delicious element to the chili!
Weeknight Turkey and Black Bean Chili
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (like Rotel)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, cut into tiny pieces
- White rice
- Mexican cheese
- In a soup pot, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and stir until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the turkey, salt and pepper and saute 5 minutes until turkey is no longer pink, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, chili powder and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, stir in chocolate and simmer 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls over white rice and top with cheese.
Adapted from Fitness Magazine