So a few weeks ago, Q’s company had a big “picnic” (in quotes since it was inside since it was 20 degrees out). Knowing that I was going to have to bring a treat for 50 Army guys and their wives, I wanted something that would be a guaranteed crowd pleaser. And these were it. They were devoured within 5 minutes of walking in the room. Major seal of approval.
They are SO easy to make and for those semi-homemade folks out there (no shame in that!), you can definitely use pre-made dough for the cookie layer. Also, if you have a chocolate chip cookie recipe you prefer, feel free to substitute it in! I cut them into small squares for the big group, but they can be cut larger if you wish!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cream Cheese Bars
Makes 36 (cut small)
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9X13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- For the cookie layer: Whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix well with the whisk. Add the flour, salt and baking soda and fold dry ingredients into wet using a rubber spatula, careful not to overmix. (Personally, I always use my hands for the last bit of folding, since it makes it so much easier to mix everything!). Fold in the chocolate chips until combined.
- Using lightly moistened hands, press half to two/thirds of the dough onto the bottom of the prepared pan forming a thin layer (it doesn’t matter how much dough you use, just make sure it is a thin layer and the pan is fully covered). Set aside.
- For the cheesecake filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Using an offset spatula, spread the cheesecake filling over the layer of cookie dough in the pan.
- Using the remaining cookie dough, flatten the cookie dough into small discs (like small pancakes) and place these discs on top of the cheesecake layer. Press lightly so the cookie layer adheres to the cheesecake layer.There will be some spots where the cheesecake layer pops through and this is OK.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until very lightly browned on the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely and then refrigerate until chilled, 1-2 hours. Cut into squares and serve. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen.