1. Kitchen remodel is still coming along…. The dirty, dusty, gross part is almost over and the fun, decorating, cabinet installing part is about here. Living in a quarter of my house is getting old fast. (Oh ya, this bar/pass through area wasn’t there a week ago! Hellllo natural light!)
2. There have been so many slow cooker meals in my house the past three weeks, I don’t even know what I am going to do with an actual kitchen. I’ve decided that you can basically throw anything in a crockpot and it will turn out well. This recipe is a new easy favorite. (Me cooking in my make shift kitchen… It’s been interesting)
3. These shoes are my everything. I was SO hesitant to buy Birkenstocks because they remind me of mom shoes (no offense to my super cool mom). But these screamed my name, I bought them on impulse and literally where them every single day when I teach. My feet have never been happier.
4. I’m completely in love with our new Tuft & Needle mattress. A full, fun new bedding post coming soon, but spoiler alert- we’ve never slept better.
5. Ikea on the weekends is hell. This $10 orchid made the 90-minute drive and 2-hour shopping stint worthwhile.
6. I’m off to Napa this weekend to celebrate one of my closest girlfriends weddings. My two girlfriends are meeting me in San Fran and we are renting a car and driving up together- should be a fun adventure!
1. Oh hey friends- this kitchen reno is kicking my butt! It is all coming together SO well and hopefully the next 5-1000 weeks go by quickly :). I am sort of dying about the amount of dust that is in my house, but just taking deep breaths and looking myself in my bedroom whenever possible.
2. I have found the most fabulous gym down here, Novo Fitness. What I miss most about LA is the abundance of healthy options and workout classes. Well, Columbus finally has an amazing barre studio that I actually love going to each night. I’m still swimming, but adding this into the rotation.
3. Have you heard of Birchbox? They send you 5-6 samples of health/beauty goodies a month. I’m sort of obsessed, although my sample drawer is totally bursting at the seams! I’ve found so many great new products through the company and who doesn’t love getting a box full of fun, new goodies each month?
4. Job… oh about that. I have been searching high and low and far and wide for a fabulous teaching gig. Unfortunately for me, the jobs on the Army base are few and hard to come by and the ones in the public school district are even harder (they let go of 130 teachers this year). So, I’ve been subbing almost every day, putting my name out there and meeting principals. I’m staying busy and honing my craft and praying something fabulous comes my way soon.
5. Did I ever share this awesome cornhole set I had made for Q for his birthday? Cornhole is a very Southern game – basically throwing bean bags into a hole. I think these turned out fabulously and think they would be SO fun for an engagement or wedding gift. (This is the company who made them for us. They ship nationwide).
6. White after Labor Day? I’m a rulebreaker. What can I say? (Pants are J. Crew/ Bag is Kate Spade/ Shoes: J. Crew)
1. At this moment, I am waiting for my flight to my favorite place ever: Hawaii. This last minute trip sprung about a few weeks ago. My mom planned on going to visit my grandma and I sorta-kinda decided to tag along. We are headed there for a few days before I head back to the humidity of the south. And lucky for me, it looks like not one, but two tropical storms are hitting Hawaii during my visit (serious sarcasm implied). But it will be great to spend time with family and relax.
2. Whenever I fly to Hawaii, I try and pad my trip with a few days in LA. Not only does it make the 6-hour time change more bearable, but I get to see my best friends and eat at all the new places I’ve only been reading about. This trip we did Blue Plate Oysterette in West Hollywood and AdoTeca in Brentwood. Both were superb and highly recommended.
Dessert at Blue Plate- heaven.
3. On my flight over, I watched Saving Mr. Banks and Despicable Me 2. I’m pretty sure my neighbor in the seat next to me thought I was 13. I loved both of them.
4. These are my favorite travel shoes ever. Totally embracing the hippie life. (Top and shorts are J. Crew)
5. Like my mom (this is her 30 years ago).
6. Q and I got tickets to go see Eric Church in concert when he comes to Georgia. For those non-country music fans out there, he’s the best. I went outside of the norm and I used ScoreBig.com to get the tickets. The website is sort of like Priceline.com, but for concerts and events. You name a price and they either accept or deny it. And there were no Ticketmaster fees. Score. Super easy to use, highly recommended.
7. Have you heard of the site, WireCutter.com. So basically they review products- from home stuff to tech to cars- and they write the BEST reviews. They take reviews from the web and other bloggers and do months of testing before they come up with their results on what is best. I won’t buy anything without consulting them first.
Whipping up some old favorites in the kitchen while Jess is in town!
Mexican Chicken Bowls
Pepperoni Pizza with Roma tomatoes from the garden
Roasted Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese made with homemade bread
These soft tank tops from Target that are PERFECT for working out in. And at $10 a pop they don’t break the bank! I couldn’t find them at Target.com, but there were racks full at my local store. They are called Well Worn!
These fun new pumps from Steve Madden.
And the flat version also.
This new Mad Men esque dress from Mod Cloth. As cute in person as it is on the website!
Bedding from Crane & Canopy (particularly this coral one, although I know Q would never go for it)
This personalized embosser as a wedding gift or a housewarming present!